- 500 grams White Pomfret Fish ( About 3 Pieces)
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil for shallow frying
FOR THE MASALA
- 6 Byadagi Chillies
- 1 teaspoon black pepper corn
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fried gram (pottu kadalai)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon rock salt
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Juice of a lemon
- Onion Slices
- Grind all the ingredients listed under masala to a smooth paste in a small mixie adding half a cup of water. Make a really smooth paste. Set aside.
- Wash and clean the Pomfret fish (Vavval Meen) and make gashes on both sides of the skin. Apply the masala paste on the fish making sure to push the masala inside the gashes. Let it marinate for 20 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in a non stick pan until really hot. When the oil is hot, gently place the Pomfret and fry for 1.5 – 2 minutes on one side. After 1.5 – 2 minutes, carefully flip the fish and cook on the other side for another 1.5 – 2 minutes.
- Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel. Squeeze some lemon juice on the fish and serve hot with some sliced onions.