Kingfish fillets 500 Gram (or whole)Salt 1/2 Teaspoon Chilli powder 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric powder 1/2 Teaspoon For masala:Kashmiri chillies 6 Tamarind pieces 1 Inch , soaked (soaked in 1/2 cup hot water)Cumin seeds 1 Tablespoon Coriander seeds 1 Tablespoon Chopped ginger 1/4 Cup (4 tbs) Chopped garlic 1/4 Cup (4 tbs) Chopped onion 1/4 Cup (4 tbs) Coarse salt 1 Teaspoon Water 2 Cup (32 tbs) (for grinding)Turmeric powder 1/2 Teaspoon Shredded fresh coconut/Frozen coconut 1/2 Cup (8 tbs) Green chillies 2 (slit horizontally)Kokam 5 (petals)Seeds 5 (Tephlam seeds or Triphal seeds)Salt To Taste
Soak the red chillies in hot water overnight.
2. Marinate the fish with the salt, chilli & turmeric powder and keep aside.
3. Remove the stems and grind with all the other ingredients adding water a little at a time.
4. Once you have a smooth paste, strain it, reserve all the liquid and add the solids back into the food processor with more water and strain again.
5. Repeat this process a few times till all the solids have turned into a smooth gravy.
6. Heat some oil and shallow fry the fish on both sides and remove.
7. Add the gravy to the pot and also this to come to a rolling boil.
8. Add the fish back in and allow to cook completely covered.
9. Add the green chillies. Kokam and triphal seeds