Whole spices: Cumin, bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamoms & cloves are the whole spices that are used in a egg curry. However you can use whatever you have in hand. Even one or 2 kinds of spices will enhance the aroma of the dish. If you have mustard seeds just go ahead and use them.
2. Ginger garlic: I have used ginger garlic paste. It can be replaced with minced, crushed or grated ginger garlic.
3. Onions: To make a egg curry, most people use finely chopped or grated onions. Using chopped onions will yield a slightly chunky egg curry. You can use in any form you like.
A basic egg curry is made without any cream, cashews or coconut milk. We Indians make most regular curries without any of those. Only for occasions I do add them. Here are some variations you can make to the egg curry.
1. Cream : If you prefer a creamy egg curry, then add in 3 to 4 tbsps of cream towards the end.
- to 5 boiled eggs
- ▢ 2 tablespoons oil
- ▢ 1 teaspoon ghee or oil
- ▢ 1¼ cups onions fine chopped or 2 medium onions diced, boiled & pureed
- ▢ 1 cup tomatoes finely chopped or 3 medium tomatoes pureed
- ▢ 1 green chilli (optional) chopped or slit
- ▢ 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste or finely minced
- ▢ ½ teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- ▢ 1 to 1 ¼ cup water (adjust slightly as needed)
- ▢ 1 tablespoons coriander leaves chopped finely
- ▢ ¼ teaspoon Kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves, optional)
- ▢ 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- ▢ 4 tablespoons cream or 10 cashews blended with ½ cup water (optional)
Whole spices (skip if you do not have)
- Fine chop or puree the onions. If you prefer to puree the onions, first boil diced onions in 2 cups of water for 4 mins until transparent. Drain the water and puree them in a blender.
- ▢ Heat 1 teaspoon ghee or oil in a nonstick pan & saute the eggs until golden & slightly blistered. Remove the eggs to a plate & sprinkle 2 to 3 pinches of chilli powder.
How to Make Egg Curry
- ▢ Heat 2 tbsp oil and add bay leaf, cardamoms and cinnamon.
- ▢ When they begin to sizzle, add onions & green chilli. Saute onions until golden and the raw smell has almost gone.
- ▢ Add ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell goes off, for about a minute.
- ▢ Then add tomatoes and saute well until the mixture turns mushy.
- ▢ Next add red chili powder, garam masala, coriander powder, turmeric, sugar and salt. Saute everything well until a nice aroma comes out & the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
- ▢ Pour water 1 to 1¼ cups water and mix well. Cover and cook until the curry thickens and you see traces of oil over the curry.
- ▢ Taste test and adjust salt. Add the fried eggs and kasuri methi. Mix and simmer for a while. Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves. Serve punjabi egg curry with roti or naan or plain rice.
- ▢ Optional – Pour 3 to 4 tbsps cream or Blend together 10 cashews with half cup water to smooth milk. Pour it to the curry. Cook covered for 2 to 3 mins until the curry turns thick.
Instant pot egg curry
- ▢ Press saute button and add oil to the inner pot of the Instant pot. Add spices & bay leaf.
- ▢ Add ginger garlic and fry for 30 seconds. Then add the tomatoes and salt.
- ▢ Fry until the tomatoes breakdown. Add chilli powder and turmeric. Saute for a min.
- ▢ When the cumin begins to sizzle add onions and green chilli. Saute until the onions turn light golden.
- ▢ Then pour 1 cup water and deglaze the pot by scrubbing the bottom of the pot with the spatula.
- ▢ Place a long leg trivet. Place your basmati rice bowl. Cover it. Then place the eggs in another bowl. Cover it.
- ▢ Secure the IP with the lid. Position the steam release handle to sealing.
- ▢ Press the pressure cook button (high pressure). Set the timer to 7 mins.
- ▢ When the IP is done, press the cancel button.
- ▢ When the pin drops, open the lid. Do a quick manual release by moving the steam release handle from sealing to venting. You can also wait for 5 mins for a natural release.
- ▢ Pour cold water to the eggs and let them cool down. Peel the eggs and prick them with a fork.
- ▢ Press the saute button and simmer the eggs in the curry for a minute. Then pour the cream or cashew milk or coconut milk.
- ▢ Stir well and cook until the curry thickens. Taste and add more salt if needed. Turn off and garnish with coriander leaves.
- ▢ ½ to 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- ▢ ½ to 1 teaspoon garam masala (refer notes)
- ▢ ½ to 1 teaspoon coriander powder (optional)
- ▢ ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- ▢ 1 small bay leaf
- ▢ 1 small cinnamon piece
- ▢ 2 green cardamoms
2. Cashews : You can also add about 10 cashews to add a milky aroma to the gravy. They also add volume to the dish.
4. Tomatoes: This recipe can be made with fine chopped or pureed tomatoes. Pureed tomatoes will prevent the curry from turning watery. In some places, I have seen Dhaba style egg curry is made with grated tomatoes.