Mushroom chopped lengthwise – 8 oz
Large onion finely chopped – 1
Vegetable oil – 1 1/2 tsp + 4 tsp
Garlic cloves – 5
Lemon juice – 1 tsp
Red chile powder or Cayenne powder – 1 tsp
Red pepper flakes – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Coriander leaves or Cilantro chopped – for garnish
In a blender or mixer, add 4 tsp of oil, garlic cloves, lemon juice, red chili powder, pepper flakes and water (approx 2 tbsp) and blend it to form a smooth paste. Do not add too much water.
- Heat 1 1/2 tsp of oil into a non-stick pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add onions, salt and sauté till they turn translucent about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Now add in the paste prepared above with very little water (again not more than 2 tbsp) and sauté it till the raw smell goes off completely for about 5 minutes. We want this dish to be flavorful & semi dry.
- Add in the chopped mushrooms, mix well till it gets coated in the mixture and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes till the mushrooms are cooked and oil separates or till its cooked to your liking. DO not overcook as it may turn soggy. At this point you can toss in cooked noodles, pasta or rice if desired and serve as main course too.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves.
- Spicy Garlic Mushroom is now ready. Serve and enjoy.
- You can substitute red chili powder with dry red chili if desired. Also If you like it spicy, increase the amount of red chile powder
- After adding mushrooms I have cooked first few minutes on medium flame and last 2 minutes on medium high to high flame.
- Do not add in too much water. This tastes best when it is semi dry.
- You can also add in 1/2 tsp of sugar or honey to recipe if you like it sweet and spicy.