- 8 cuttlefish or fish balls
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1/2 red onion cut to rough wedges
- water optional
(A) Sambal Sauce
- 1 heaped tbsp sambal tumis
- 1 tbsp home-made ikan bilis powder or 1/4 tsp salt or fish sauce; to taste
- assam (tamarind) solution dissolve 15 grams assam pulp in 1/2 cup water; solution strained
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder for extra heat; to taste
- 1/2 tsp granulated gula melaka or regular sugar to taste
- Heat cooking oil in a pot. Add cuttlefish balls and deep-fry until light golden brown. Drain excess oil on paper towels or tempura paper.
- Add (A) to a wok. Bring to a quick simmer and season to taste.
watery sauce. Turn off the heat and add the cooked balls to the wok, coating them evenly in the sambal sauce.